Tuesday, March 24, 2009

March 24th

Well Ashley’s perfect ‘healthy at home’ record came to an end on March 14th. She was doing fine during her doctor’s visit on Thursday the 12th. At that time we discontinued a medication for seizures we had been slowly tapering for the last year. That Saturday Ashley had a seizure. She is doing fine now and it was a single event. She had not had a seizure since November 2007 when she was at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago for plasmapheresis during her stay at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.

We took her in to the ER as a precaution and it turns out Ashley had a mild infection (she wasn’t even running a temperature yet). She finishes up her antibiotic today. She has been feeling just fine ever since. The onset of that infection, again her first since being home, may have triggered the seizure. She will remain on the very low dose of the anti-seizure medicine as a precaution for the foreseeable future.

Unlike when she would get sick during her inpatient stays there was no set back in Ashley’s progress. In fact the next day she had quite an appetite. As we have mentioned for several weeks now Ashley is eating quite well. While liquids are still a work in progress, eating a full serving of a balanced meal (pureed) is not. We will be following up with her dietitian in April to report on her progress.

Over the last couple of days Ashley has been doing a fantastic job of walking in the evening at home. Seems odd that her best walking would come at the end of the day when she is usually exhausted, but watching her take step after step without any assistance placing her feet (only balance support) is awesome.

We took advantage of the warm weather this weekend to get out for a walk. Ashley took a few dozen steps with her walker as well while we were out.

In mid April Ashley will have her ankles ‘cast’. This will be a process where they will put casts on both lower legs for three days at a time to help stretch her Achilles tendons and properly position her feet. When Ashley stands up her knees are bent and while she can stretch and stand up straight she cannot maintain that position. Each time a new cast is applied they will slightly increase the corrective positioning. The target is to reach the goal of proper positioning within three weeks. We will keep you posted.

Ashley enjoyed visits from several friends over spring break both at home and at therapy.

The final update would have to be on the Talk component of the Walk-Talk-Eat mantra that Ashley’s friend Emily coined. While we don’t have words yet Ashley is constantly working on those vocal cords and working those mouth muscles to form letters. You can tell she is bursting at the seams for all the intricate pieces to come together. It will be a glorious day when we get those first words and you can bet there will be an instant update on that day!
Thank you all for your continued prayers and support

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley my Darling,
So much has been happening since I last checked your sight! We are ever so thankful that you are feeling yourself again after your seizure episode, and that you have been enjoying some of the sunny spring weather that has been happening here and there in the Fort!!! Glad to see you are getting some exercise and that you are moving about with the help of your walker! Look how far you have come Kiddo!!! We are ever so grateful for all of your hard work and accomplishments! Well... Show choir and all of our travels for the past 7 weekends in a row have pretty much taken up much of our weekends! The kids made it to the State competition last weekend in INDY( can you believe it!) Not bad for only being in the loop for 4 years!! When the VanAntwerps started this program 4 years ago we only had 12 girls , and now we've grown to two choirs and two state qualifying teams!! The kids did an amazing job!! Lauren is sure going to miss all of the friends she has made over the years and all of the excitement of the stage experience!! Holly will have to bring you one of the many DVD's we've purchased over the past weeks! Holly has been working alittle bit here and there at the golf club, but for the most part School takes up much of her life! She has papers and projects due daily and is working at 4 different schools again this semester! Never a dull moment!
We are heading to Purdue next Monday to Get aquainted with the campus etc. Lauren and Anne Venderly will be rooming together, a good match I think! Then we leave Tuesday morning for NEW YORK!! We've never been there and are looking forward to seeing a few broadway plays and check out the sights and hopefully find a PROM dress for Lauren!! Holly is hoping to make the trip with us as well, she is busy trying to work ahead so that she can take off of a few days of classes! She spent her spring break in Florida, and enjoyed her time relaxing by the beach and pool! Please say hello to your mom, dad and Austin ! You continue to remain in our prayers! Happy Spring! Claudia Schnurr and gang

Anonymous said...

Talk Ashley, Talk!!! We are always praying for you....TALK, TALK, TALK...
Love, The Bergnes Family

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed seeing you at Mass Saturday evening. Best of luck with your continued progress.

Anonymous said...

Ashley-

Hello! I am so sorry I didn't get to come over during break. I was really upset about it, but I had something every day. It wasn't much of "break," but it was good to be home. I was thinking I didn't have a lot of homework and would have more time to see you, but... apparently my Professors thought differently. Of course, none of them graded anything for a week... ugh!

I am so glad to hear you've recovered well from your seizure. That is very scary. Don't the bugs in your infections know that you're on the upswing and will NOT be brought down? Psh, get outta here!

How wonderful you're able to stroll around the block! It has been good weather down here, also. I'm always hoping for sunny days for you so you can get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine.

My roommate and I walk to class together and we've been busting out our sunglasses and flipflops and couldn't be happier! :) When we walk, we tend to say "Wouldn't it be nice if this was the coldest it got?" (You may laugh at this line because it was about 55* when we were walking to class. Winter in Indiana at 55*? YEAH RIGHT!)

Hm... let's see. I did go to the Fine Art's Assembly at BD because Nick and the Dance Team got to perform. I've seen their dance three times now and I still scream my head off! It's so awesome! They got second place at STATE this year, and we were pretty excited about that! Oh, and I sat down the bleachers from Austin and I mentally willed him to turn my way and see me, but alas, my telepathy wasn't spot on.

I FaceStalked (aka Facebooked) on Austin and it sounds like he's off to an amazing Spring Break! I hope he has fun! Let's go back to Mexico, shall we? I need the sand and beach and little waiters bringing delicious drinks!

OK, now this little tid-bit is for your dad (I'm guessing he is the one who reads your posts to you). I'm in a COM class (Interpersonal Communications) and there was a section we covered regarding the differences between males and females and how they write. Wouldn't you know it, females tend to use more exclamation points. Hm. Betcha didn't see that one coming!... (!!!!!!!!!!) Teehee!

Well, my Boilers made it to the Sweet 16 but lost to UCONN... I don't know if you're watching any of the games, but they've been pretty good! Can't wait 'til next year! BOILER UP!

You are always in my thoughts and prayers, Miss Ashley, and I am always praying WALK! TALK! EAT! I switch it up depending on which one you need to focus on, based on the updates that are posted. You seem to be doing well in the walking and eating categories, so let's say TALK! WALK! EAT! Either way it's put, you're still doing a phenomenal job!

I love you, Ash, keep up the amazing work.

XoXo,

Emily*

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
I am so glad you were healthy enough to fight off an infection. You have made great progress, young lady!
I hope you feel the support and prayers that are coming your way. My students and I keep you in our prayers.
You are an inspiration!
God bless,
E.Martin

Anonymous said...

Hi Ash!

I always seem to miss the update by a week or so and need to figure out a way to have the blog notify me like email or something when its been updated (if there is such a way :). Or I should probably just check more often! This time it wasn't all my fault since I got to go to Florida with my family and the Friend family for 4 days last Friday-Sunday for their Spring Break. Yes I skipped two days of classes, but it was FABULOUS!!

On the way back Chels and I flew with our friend Brad, who also goes to Purdue and was going to take Chels back and two other girls. Well it comes to find out that those two other girls were Amy and Tara Oliver. I recognized Tara's name for some reason but it took me a while for it all to click thenI remembered that you and Tara had gone to St. Vincent's together and I meet her at one of your birthday parties!! I brought you up to her on the car ride from the air port and she and I talked of you for a few minutes reminiscing about those fun Ashley Harrington Bday parties. I remember one in particular was all Winnie the Pooh themed!!

Anyways, I'm SO glad that you're doing better after the seizure.. that's SO scary!! I was going to call you on that Saturday after you had the botox done to see how it had gone, but had to go with my mom somewhere. You are SUCH a trooper Ash, getting back on the saddle every time you fall off, determined to make even more progress!

Seeing you at your therapy made me inspired by you more and more each day and I think and pray about you often. I even talked to my Physio prof about what he knew about ADEM so I could understand it better!

I hope you're enjoying the more spring-like temperatures (except it rained today :() I know I am!! I will come visit when I'm done with school in a few short weeks!!

Give hugs to your mom, dad and Aus for me!!
ALL my love,
Rach