Sunday, March 8, 2009

March 8th

Gee it’s hard to find time to update the blog. Nothing like a tornado warning to create some ‘down time’ in the basement to do an update as long as the power holds out (looks like it will just past north of us accompanied with 70 MPH winds and that nasty hail on the fringes). That’s just another sign that spring is coming. We can’t wait to get outside on a frequent basis with Ashley and take in the sights of the neighborhood. This time we will be including a walker in the mix rather than just her wheel chair.

It did provide for a hasty first with Ashley. That was the trip down here to the basement. She is lounging peacefully on the sofa as we watch the weather channel.

Last weekend Ashley got a haircut. Not just a trim; it is just below her shoulders now. She also was treated to a manicure and pedicure that same afternoon. Yes, she is looking gorgeous.

At the end of February Ashley had a visit from one of her high school friends, Erika, before she left for studies in Valparaiso… Chile, not Indiana. We checked on Erika’s blog www.ejprud.blogspot.com and found out she was encountering a lot of culture change.

Last Thursday we visited with a dietitian. Ashley has been eating so well we knew it was time to see about adjusting her liquid nutrition in response to her increased oral eatings. We are cutting back on the liquid nutrition by 20% and providing her dietitian with monthly updates to receive guidance on continually tapering the tube feedings. Great news!

We interrupt this blog for a weather update. The storm has past and while it is still windy the sun has come out. We are back on the main level and Ashley is doing her solo mat workout in the family room now.

Ashley will have an appointment with her neurologist this coming week. He will be addressing the tone issues she continues to have in her right arm and ankles. We also anticipate the elimination of one more medication that we have been tapering for several months.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley, Glad to hear the tornado past by Fort Wayne. I heard the sirens go off here but I was in bed and to tired to get up! I hoped if it was bad enough someone would remember me! So excited to hear about the progress you are making with the eating-excellent. I can't wait to visit and go for a walk. I sure hope the weather starts to improve. Grandma and Grandpa come home the end of April and I know they can't wait to see all the progress you have made. Love Aunt Beth, Uncle Craig, Alex, and Jessica

Anonymous said...

We think and talk about you all the time ! We pray that everyday brings improvements that make your family and you smile . Remember, everyday you are one day closer to being better ! George continues, like you, to improve. Maybe you two can meet one day ! :):)
With Love, Anna Bergnes(Miami, FL)

Erika said...

Ashley!!

I wish I could see you're new haircut and pedi and mani - although you're mom always does such a nice job, i can't imagine that those look too much different! Things are going well here now that I'm recovering from TONSILITIS!! Yuck! But I should be up and out of bed soon and starting classes - a week later than everyone else - but none-the-less, still starting, next week! Love you tons and miss you even more,
Erika

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,
We were worried about your weather this past weekend. Once it went by us, we knew it was headed toward the Ft. Since we don't have a basement, Angela always makes sure the storage closet below our steps is cleared out enough for us to fit into. This time she put blankets, books, a flashlight, Mittens, and junk food in it. A couple hours after the storm passed by she remembered Mittens was still in there. The snacks would probably still be there too, but I got the munchies!

You are doing a great job Ashley. We're so glad to hear about your progress with eating. Talking is sure to follow! And we can't wait to hear your voice.

Angela competed in Math Bowl last night, she did great. I can't believe how difficult the problems were. They placed 2nd, behind 1st place by only 1 point. We'll get their state ranking tomorrow.

Aunt Beth and I will be planning a visit real soon. Love to all of you, Aunt Lynn, Uncle Stan, Angela

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ash!

I had to drive back to Purdue during that storm! It got so bad I couldn't see and had to pull over. Thank God, it only lasted about a minute, and then I literally drove right out of it! God watched over me the entire way back and provided nothing but sunshine until I made it to Purdue!

I had come home for my aunt's wedding. My mom's sister Jane got married on Friday, 3/6! It was a rushed weekend, as usual, otherwise I would've stopped by to see you! It's been so long; I'm going through Ashley Withdrawals. The good news is that my Spring Break is March 16-20, and I am hoping, wishing, and praying I get to see your beautiful face at least once during that time!

It sounds like you're doing well, as always! Look at you, making it up and down the stairs! That must have been quite the scenery change after being on the main level! Yay!

Well I can't get over how long it's been since I've seen you-- I hadn't been home in six weeks until I went back for the wedding. That's preposterous. I would love to see you if you can fit me into your busy schedule! I definitely need this Spring Break and your smile would be the perfect topper to make my week!

You are always in my thoughts and prayers, Ashley, as are the rest of your family. I love and miss you all, and I know you'll continue to kick butt at all of your therapies, exercises, and obstacles. You are truly amazing :)

XoXo,

Emily*

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley. Thought I'd pop in to see how you're doin'. Everytime we hear from your dad, something awesome is going on. Thanks to your fortitude. and network of support -- even from those who don't know you but know about you and your strength and faith.
Spring's getting closer, I can feel it!
Love,
A. Kathy and U. Dave xx

Anonymous said...

Miamians checking in...Hope new and great things are going on :):).
Keep working hard! Love and prayers, The Bergnes family (George's sis)

Anonymous said...

Dear Harringtons,
I hope you had a chance to get out and about this last week end. It was perfect weather for walking. I even attempted to take my dog, Simba, for a walk. (She is not crazy about being on a leash and gets it tangled around my cane!)
When I read your blogs I am always impressed with your dedication and courage. You all are my heros!
God bless,
E.Martin